August Content Roundup
I’m starting to like this content summary post idea. It allows me to identify some of the themes in my writings, whether intended or unintended, and point again to some articles that my readers may have missed because they’re spread across multiple sites. I had high hoped for August and new content, which was dampened by a couple things: new presentation content and whitepapers, and that little matter of my company getting acquired. What? You didn’t hear the news on that? Apparently we could have done a better job of tweeting it out there, but there are a couple posts that walk you through the details:
- Consolidation Within The SharePoint Community (buckleyPLANET) http://bit.ly/18A2PJg (re-post at http://bit.ly/1dLfXDG)
- Metalogix Acquires Axceler's SharePoint Business (Axceler blog) http://bit.ly/1cC3uxU
Another theme for August surrounded our 3rd official tweetjam, this time focusing on the topic of data visualization within the collaboration space.
- Understanding Collaboration Complexity through Data Visualization (Axceler blog) http://bit.ly/1a3tn97
- TweetJam: Data Visualization in Collaboration (Axceler blog) http://bit.ly/19eXrgX
If you missed my sessions at SharePointFest DC and SPTechcon, I’ve been talking a lot about the governance impacts of social collaboration. The premise is simple enough: if you’re going to use disparate tools and systems, you need to think about how your governance policies, procedures, reporting, compliance, and other mitigating factors will be managed across them. Even within SharePoint 2013, there are very limited out-of-the-box reports to help you manage the social features, and so you have to get creative, pulling the data you need from the various content databases where your conversations, shares, ratings and other capabilities are tracked and stored. Adding Yammer to the mix? There are no standards for management across the two platforms, so be clear on what you need to manage – and know that you’re going to have to build something on your own to meet those requirements.
- Balancing Social Fervor with Governance Concerns (SharePointEurope.com) http://bit.ly/1fwvhQ6
- Managing Governance Across the Social Landscape — webinar (SharePointEurope.com) http://bit.ly/15pwRys
- Managing Governance Across the Social Landscape (SlideShare) http://slidesha.re/1544HPb
- Analytics: The Key to Governance in Social Collaboration (Axceler blog) http://bit.ly/1fwutus
- Understanding SharePoint Reporting (SlideShare) http://slidesha.re/14gkqKe
- SPFestDC: Christian Buckley Teaches you Everything you Wanted to Know about SharePoint Reporting but Were too Afraid to Ask (Bamboo blog post on my SPFestDC session) http://bit.ly/175CNQ9
- The Ongoing Evolution Of SharePoint Reporting (buckleyPLANET) http://bit.ly/14nnxuJ (re-post at http://bit.ly/1cC4UbY)
Of course, I’m always talking about SharePoint governance – no surprises that I would sponsor a webinar on the topic (this time with my good friend Joel Oleson at Salient6), and cover a few thoughts in an article or two.
- Preventing Security Leaks in SharePoint with Joel Oleson & Christian Buckley (SlideShare) http://slidesha.re/19f0CVH
- Preventing Security Leaks in SharePoint: Closing Off the Gaps in Permissions and Governance (webinar) http://bit.ly/15ACCsc
- The SharePoint Governance Manifesto (buckleyPLANET) http://bit.ly/14VfCZl
And finally, as I am prone to do, I occasionally write about semi-relevant topics that just interest me – and participate in various analyst and journalist interviews, getting a quote in here or there. My “business” posts usually cover business topics of one sort or another, sometimes inspired by my readings in Wired, Harvard Business Review, FastCompany, or some other online source. Chalk the rest up to “self-promotion.”
- Magnify Your Inner Slacker (buckleyPLANET) http://bit.ly/1cC2VEm
- Training is an Ongoing Process (AIIM.org) http://bit.ly/1cC1WUR
- The Speed Of Cloud (buckleyPLANET) http://bit.ly/14nnaQX
- MVP Takeover – Christian Buckley (SharePointEurope.com) http://bit.ly/18A4Jd0
- The future of SharePoint, Yammer, and mobile in the social enterprise (quoted in TechRepublic) http://tek.io/139axvk
- Six SharePoint experts divulge the secrets of enterprise social success (quoted in TechRepublic) http://tek.io/14gdgWp
- CMSWire: The Changing Face of SharePoint in the Enterprise #SocBizHangout (YouTube) http://bit.ly/19f1cD0
- Digital Sack Lunch: Jeff Willinger and Christian Buckley talk Social Influence (YouTube) http://bit.ly/15TOBVX
With the outer door about to close on this flight to Cape Town, South Africa, I’ll sign off for now. But I should have a couple more posts ready to go live once I touch down.