October 2023 Content Wrap-Up
October hit like a freight train. I traveled to 5 events, touched down in 4 countries, and have now completed 26 months of daily blog posts. And here I am in Chicago to close out the month — and kick off November’s activities. Looking back at October, my first event was attending the Microsoft Power Platform Conference (#MPPC23) in Las Vegas where I was able to catch up with many friends and meet with dozens of partners. Mid-month I traveled to southeast Asia for aMS events in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and Manila. For those unfamiliar, aMS stands for Azure, Microsoft 365, and SharePoint, and is another flavor of the several community-organized global events that you can find happening around the world just about every weekend. And to wrap up the month of travel, I caught a flight yesterday to participate in 365 EduCon Chicago where you can catch my session and/or find me in the Rencore booth.
From a content standpoint, You’ll find 4 new CollabTalk Podcast episodes, with weekly guests that are booked solid through the end of January, and 5 new #MVPbuzzChat interviews with fellow Microsoft MVPs. The #M365AMA squad was also able to answer 14 new questions from the community. Some of you may have noticed that there was not a CollabTalk tweetJam in October. Too much going on — just could not figure out a date and time that worked, so we punted to November. Be sure to watch for updates on Nov and Dec events within the next week.
Oh yeah, and Rencore Governance was recognized as Governance Product of the Year by Redmond Magazine, which is a really big deal. Congrats to my extended team for crushing it! If you’re interested in seeing a demo and are not attending EduCon this week, just ping me and we’ll schedule a quick online demo. Or just go to Rencore.com and click on the “Free Trial” link at the top right of your screen.
And here was my content from this past month:
Community and Industry Interviews
With MVP interviews published every Monday and the CollabTalk Podcast moving to every Thursday, community interviews have become a major portion of my monthly content output. Aside from the AMA format, this is one of my favorite contributions. And for those new to the CollabTalk Podcast, which was nominated as one of 3 finalists in the ESPC23 Inspire Awards for Best Podcast, be sure to subscribe. While we regularly talk about all-things-Microsoft 365, the focus of the podcast is much broader than that, with most of my guests coming from outside the Microsoft ecosystem. It’s worth a listen, I promise. Also included here are 2 TekkiGurus interviews that were conducted at the M365 Conference in Las Vegas in May.
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 99 with Tory Gray [blog | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 98 with Carolyn Ward [blog | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 97 with Nick Hobson [blog | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 96 with Norm Young [blog | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Teresa Cyrus [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Olivier Van Steenlandt [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Denny Cherry [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Matt Jimison [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Monica Rathbun [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- TekkiTalk with Cathy Dew: Latest announcements around OneDrive, SharePoint, and the new Branding Center [TekkiGurus]
- TekkiTalk With Brian Alderman: The State of SharePoint Administration, and TekkiGurus [TekkiGurus]
- TekkiTalk With Don Kirkham: Getting Started With the SharePoint Framework [TekkiGurus]
Answering Community Questions in #M365AMA
As mentioned above, the crew answered 14 questions from the community. We always have fun with this format where we not only answer the questions, but try to understand the “why” behind the questions and try to cover multiple scenarios for each.
- How do I turn off Authenticator for Office 365? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can I automate my flow to move from pending to approved? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- How do I find a Teams Meeting using the meeting ID? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can external guests receive Teams notifications? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Why can’t I see dynamic group members in Teams? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Why can’t I share a Microsoft Teams Meeting link? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can I move a distribution list directly to Exchange Online? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Are Microsoft Forms susceptible to bot attacks? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- What should organizations do to prepare for the new version of Outlook? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can I limit external guest visibility to just one channel? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- How do I add managed properties to a sub-site? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- How do install M365 without admin rights? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- How do I change the URL for a restored SharePoint file? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- How do I remove OneDrive file explorer sync? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
aMS events in Southeast Asia
After a 9 day whirlwind trip to Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines, it’s good to be back in the US and the cooler weather.
- Talking About Governance in Southeast Asia [blog]
- Effective M365 Governance for Small and Medium Businesses_aMSKL and aMSManila [OneDrive]
- 10 Essentials for Effective Teams Governance_aMSSingapore [OneDrive]
The first comes from a brief discussion I had with a friend who works in the DevOps space, and the second is inspired by a series of tweets announcing the availability of these new training resources. Both worth the read!
- Finalist for Best Podcast at ESPC [blog]
- September 2023 Content Wrap-Up [blog]
- Top Voices North America 2023 [Thinkers360]
Music that I love
Three more highly influential artists on this month’s list. Check them out.
- Blue Plate Special: The Smiths [blog]
- Blue Plate Special: The Pixies [blog]
- Blue Plate Special: The English Beat [blog]
And that’s a wrap for October! Hello November! Here I am in Chicago, preparing to speak on…of all things…M365 Governance. Upcoming events include M365 Twin Cities in Minneapolis, Live! 360 in Orlando, and then ESPC23 in Amsterdam after Thanksgiving. No plans for events in December…so far. But there are one or two webinars on the horizon. Watch for details later this month…