December 2021 Content Wrap-Up
And here we are at the start of another new year, looking back over my content from the past month. I had hoped to end the year with an in-person event and attend the M365 Collaboration Conference in Las Vegas, but with my planned vacation scheduled and a full plate at work, I just didn’t have the time to drive or fly down. Sad to not see friends, but it was good to be in the home office and get things done before taking time off. I’ll be on the road at the end of January, though. Still need to lock down some plans, but it looks like I’ll be in Chicago for a couple days to visit with the team and possibly visit with some local community members, followed by a long weekend in Minneapolis to visit with my daughter and her family, where I’ll get to meet my granddaughter in-person for the first time. From there, I’m heading out to Arlington, Virginia for a couple days with the AvePoint team. Looking forward to travel plans returning to somewhat normal.
To help celebrate my 31st wedding anniversary (Nov 30th), my wife and I escaped to Maui for 8 days. It was our first time to this island — we’ve been to Oahu twice, and Kauai about a dozen times. It was beautiful, it was great to take an actual vacation and get away from the snow (a storm hit Utah 2 days before our trip, and snowed a few days while we were gone), but I’ll be honest — I still prefer Kauai. Sorry Maui peeps. Looking forward to heading back to the Lihue Marriott in December 2022. Hotel has already been booked.
On December 21st, I celebrated my 1 year anniversary with AvePoint. I can’t believe it’s been a year already. I still feel like the new guy in many ways, with plenty of questions and ideas. I’m looking forward to another record-breaking year of growth as we continue to expand our products and our channel plans. Since taking over the AvePoint Community Champions program, we’ve added a handful of new Champions, and will continue to build out this program with new additions around the world, which I’ll occasionally highlight on this blog.
My content schedule is becoming fairly consistent now that the #M365AMA crew is meeting once or twice a month to answer questions from the community, with a dozen questions included in the links below. The podcast is running smoothly with weekly drops of the #MVPbuzzChat interview series every Monday, and deep-dive CollabTalk Podcast interviews every Friday. I’m booked out through March with the former, and have a number of guests already lined up for the latter, but should soon be booked out 6-8 weeks in advance, as well. Next week will be the launch of a new AvePoint channel-related series called #P2Pnow, with short partner-focused videos and blog posts, so watch for that on the AvePoint blog and YouTube page.
Of course, the big news for this upcoming month is the 10th anniversary of the CollabTalk TweetJam. I can’t believe it’s been a decade since launching this monthly community-focused roundtable discussion. For the December event, where we looked back at all of the biggest Microsoft ecosystem announcements of 2021 and made predictions for 2022, I thought it was appropriate to invite tweetjam sponsor and long-time participant John White (@diverdown1964) to participate in the post-tweetjam takeaways interview. As we discuss in the video, John started participating in these events not long after launch, and volunteered to help track the metrics and reporting sometime in 2013 — the results of which eventually morphed into his company’s tyGraph for Twitter solution using Power BI, which you can now utilize for your own online or in-person events and social media campaigns. I’m sure we’ll talk again this month about some of the history of the tweetjams. Be sure to follow me on Twitter for updates for our January 25th tweetjam. Should be a good one!
And with that, here is my content for December:
The CollabTalk TweetJam
The final tweetjam of the year tends to be the biggest and most active. While we didn’t break any records in number of panelists, the tweets were flowing fast and furious, and many great insights were shared. You can find the questions and panelists in the links below, and a new signup form to be notified of future topics and event dates/times.
- Predictions for the Microsoft Ecosystem [buckleyPLANET]
- Community Feedback on Microsoft Ecosystem Predictions with John White [blog | YouTube]
- Sign up for tweetjam reminders https://bit.ly/collabtalk_tweetjam
- #CollabTalk TweetJam December 2021 — a summary by Jay Leask [Jay’s blog]
- Jay’s summary of the November 2021 tweetjam [Jay’s blog]
Hey, I actually penned some articles this past month!
- The Three Voices of Social Marketing [buckleyPLANET]
- The Office 365 Ownership Dilemma [buckleyPLANET]
- 4 Strategies for Office 365 Security and Compliance [buckleyPLANET]
- How to Amplify Enterprise Adoption [buckleyPLANET]
#M365AMA panel discussions and community Q&A
What started as a weekly live stream at the start of the pandemic, we are now recording 15-20 short-form videos, each of which answer a specific question asked by a member of the Microsoft 365 community. We capture questions from various Facebook, LinkedIn, and TechCommunity groups and answer them as a panel, providing relevant links when possible. Check out the questions answered this past month — and be sure to follow my YouTube channel for regular updates.
- Microsoft 365 AMA questions answered (so far) [buckleyPLANET]
- How do I recover deletions in the Windows 10 OneNote app? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can I create an Outlook rule to automatically move (re-send) messages to a group of users? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can I see if a Flow is running in my PowerApp? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Is it possible to present a public IP address to a VM in bridge mode? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can more than one person present using Teams presenter mode? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Is there a holistic way to secure my Azure app services and function apps? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- What is the best way to send an automated email each month to a client? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- What is the best approach for a cross-forest SharePoint migration? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- What is the easiest way to get a class recording to a Stream inside my Team? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- How do I limit what I show on screen when recording on Teams? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- How do I share my SharePoint calendar with all three of my Teams? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
- Can I create an alternate site collection for my SharePoint migration? #M365AMA [blog | YouTube]
One of my. favorite. things. is to sit and gab with people — especially on technology and leadership development topics. I’m really enjoying the expanded topics being covered in the CollabTalk Podcast, which are increasingly tackling topics beyond just the microsoft ecosystem. Then there are my Microsoft MVP interviews (#MVPbuzzChat) which are light and fun, and a great way to help recognize so many of the brilliant and dynamic folks within the program, and get to know them personally. In 2022, I’m hoping (fingers crossed) to also expand my AvePoint interview series, Office 365 Hours (#O365hours) from twice a month to weekly. There’s a bit more production setup to this series, but it’s a fun format and we have big plans for the show this year. If you register here, you’ll get the reminders for the live broadcast, which happen on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday mornings.
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 38: Talent Management in the Era of the Hybrid Workplace with Michael Miller [blog | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 37: Microsoft Teams Essentials and the State of the Freemium Model with Sean McDonough [blog | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 36: What It Takes To Make Collaboration Secure with Dana Simberkoff [blog | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 35: Employee Isolation and Engagement, & the Future of Teamwork with Scott Novis [blog | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 34: The Role of DevOps in Collaboration Culture with Mark Miller [blog | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Leslie Ramírez Gordian [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Amy Dolzine [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Viktor Hedberg [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Ryan Mangan [blog | YouTube | podcast]
- #O365hours How to Navigate Citizen Development & Manage the Power Platform with Rene Modery [AvePoint blog | YouTube]
- #O365hours Extending Microsoft Lists with Mark Kashman [YouTube]
Rounding out the month with some content promotion, and a post from former-MVP Yaroslav Pentsarskyy, who was generous enough to include me in his 2022 predictions article.
- One of the Best. Videos. Ever. [buckleyPLANET]
- Top 5 Posts for 2021 [buckleyPLANET]
- November 2021 Content Wrap-Up [buckleyPLANET]
- 6 Microsoft MVPs Share What’s to Come in 2022 and Beyond as Microsoft Matches Technology to a Changing World [Yaroslav Pentsarskyy]
And that’s a wrap for 2021, closing out 4 months of daily posts here on buckleyPLANET. More to come in 2022 as I attempt to continue with my (at least) daily posts. If you count the links above, I’m obviously doing more than just what appears on this blog. I’m building into my schedule a plan to drop productivity tips at least once a week…possibly twice. I have a huge backlog of content I want to get through, but those posts take a lot more time to write (and images to capture). I’ll find the time somewhere…